Re: create tables from external data

  • From: Nicolas Girard <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: create tables from external data
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:15:11 +0200

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:23:58AM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > I considered using the following operators:
> > - hybrid
> > - specific
> > - action
> >
> > but they aren't documented so i don't know neither if they are suited,
> > nor how i could include them in a macro. Or maybe this is not directly
> > possible due to security reasons, but indirectly as an extension,
> > which seems to be far from obvious... Anyway this kind of interaction
> > would be of the highest interest for many other uses, such as
> > collaborative documents
> >
> > Could you show me a starting point ?
>
> I actually waited for someone to request this feature.
> So now it is time for me to implement it...
> At a first stage, I will not implement advanced security checks.
> In order to use the feature, you will need to select
>
> Edit -> Preferences -> Security -> Accept all scripts
>
> The primitive will be called "extern". It will convert
> the arguments to scheme trees and execute the obtained
> scheme command. The result will be converted back.
> From this, you should be able to do what you want,
> using the "system" command and doing the appropriate conversions.
> I recommend to use the scheme format for all I/O.
> For instance: (row (cell "a") (cell "b") (cell "c") (cell "d))
Wow, looks very tempting !

I understand the security issue -- i have in mind a famous office suite
for which is it quite tricky...

Isn't it an option to set at a document level instead of at an
applcation level ? If you allow scripts to be executed for all documents
you're likely to open it seems quite risky to me.

> Good luck (after the release of 1.0.0.12),

i'm dying for it !

Cheers,
Nicolas