Re: GNU Octave interface

  • From: michael graffam <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: GNU Octave interface
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:37:08 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> The first "\2verbatim" is produced by the script,
> OK.But who produces "\2verbatim:" after each user
> input?

Hmm.. good question. :)

> (I mean \2 whivh is closed by the second \5 in PS1).

I was under the impression that the second \5
bracketed the end of the "octave>" prompt, and that
the initial
\2 was NEVER closed (and hence all output is verbatim
by default).

In fact, hacking this stuff into octave and bash was
my test for this assumption. Hmm. It works but
something is very wrong.

> By the way, you should redefine PS2, too.

Done.

> Why Yacas??? There is a much more powerful and
> mature free CAS - Maxima.

I haven't looked into Maxima much yet. As I recall the
filesize was prohibitive when I looked into it awhile
back. I chose Yacas because it is written in a Lisp
dialect, but I see now that Maxima is written in
Common Lisp.. so Maxima does appear to be a better
choice.

> There are many problems, however. When Octave wants
> to output something
> very long, it uses less; this should be forbidden
> under TeXmacs.

I am sure there is a way to fork a different
executable, instead of less, as there is with texinfo.

That executable could process the long stream from
Octave any way that it desires in order to make it
TeXmacs friendly. A glorified 'cat' will do the job
nicely.

Note that when communicating through a pipe, Octave
doesn't use less.

The use of texinfo for help -i is a related problem,
though.

If TeXmacs could read texinfo files, we'd be in
business :)

> matrices. I can
> generate a reasonable LaTeX for this, but this will
> be a very advanced
> LaTeX, and I'm not sure if TeXmacs will accept it.

Why not just generate a simple table via Scheme?

(block* (tformat (table (row (cell ...

?

This exact example is not vertically aligned, but it
is visually appealing and easy to read.

> I can't really understand why anybody would like to
> run Octave from TeXmacs

Well, I'm thinking about the future. Octave uses
gnuplot, and gnuplot can produce figs. At some point,
I'd like to enable Octave to feed fig drawings and
data plots directly into TeXmacs.

Plus they are called _GNU_ Octave and _GNU_ TeXmacs.
If GNU's applications don't work together how can it
ever be taken seriously as an operating system?