TeXmacs-1.0.1 and GNU Octave

  • From: michael graffam <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: TeXmacs-1.0.1 and GNU Octave
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:59:20 -0800 (PST)

I recently downloaded TeXmacs 1.0.1 and tested it with GNU Octave 2.1.36 and it was quite buggy and unstable. TeXmacs crashed quite a bit.

After some digging I found the source of the problem in the Octave m-files used to produce TeXmacs output (sprintf is broken in Octave 2.1.36?!! Something is fishy. Maybe its a problem only on RH 8.0?) and worked around the problem. In addition to actually working, the new code is cleaner and somewhat faster too. So its done the Right Way now, and there should be no more problems.

I will soon be releasing a tarball of this work which includes a few other feature enhancements for TeXmacs/Octave, namely:

A list2scm function to convert Octave linked lists to TeXmacs enumerated lists (anyone have a better suggestion for list output? I'm open to suggestions.) Also, the struct2scm function bullets and colorizes the names of variables in nested structures making it much easier to read and visualize Octave data structures from TeXmacs. On a related note, all color preferences are settable within Octave so no colors are hardcoded anymore.

Finally (and this is why I'm not releasing a tarball this minute) I'm also working on a function tmplot to allow Octave to generate plots directly into TeXmacs as figures. It's almost ready to go, hopefully I'll have all the kinks worked out in a few days.

-- Michael Graffam

Do you Yahoo!?