Derivatives in math mode

  • From: "Forringer, Ted" <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Derivatives in math mode
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:13:10 -0500

I am sure this must be a very simple question, but I can't figure it out
to my liking. I am using texmacs version 1.0.0.17 on a Mandrake Linux
box.

I would like to make a simple derivative in math mode dy/dx. In the
text books that I am familiar with all of the symbols are in italics,
but in texmacs when I put two letters next to each other I get
non-italics. I have tried d<tab>y, and that gives me an italics y but a
non-italics d. I also try d<tab><tab>y and that gives me a nice partial
derivative, but that is still not what I need. Finally d*t gives both
in italics, but there is a space between them that does not seem
appropriate.

Thanks, and sorry for such a simple question.

-Ted Forringer

P.s. I am using TexMacs for my Ph.D. thesis in physics and so far I like
it a lot, only a few minor concerns (which I will ask about eventually).