Re: modify TeX itself to enable WYSIWYG

  • From: Salman Khilji <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: modify TeX itself to enable WYSIWYG
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 21:19:43 -0700

> A Qt-Win32 port will probably never happen because the Qt-Win32
> license is proprietary, and thus incompatible with the GPL. TeXmacs is
> 100% GPL.

You can develop on Linux and then ask someone who has a license to Qt Win to
compile the app for you. This is legal.

wxWindows is good as well, but I find that it lacks polish that I find in Qt.

The win32 port of GTK clearly mentions of random crashes on the website. So
for right now the only quality toolkit at hand is Qt. Situation may change
as mono from ximian matures.

As far as the custom code to render menus, whats wrong with simply taking the
Qt or wxWindows default? I don't mind whatever way the menus are rendered.
I think providing the default menus are actually better and less confusing
than the current menu system of TeXmacs. I think trying to render them the
way they are currently rendered is asking for a performance penalty at
startup, isn't so?

Someone over the groups said something about bugs in the teXmacs typesetting
engine and expressed some discouragement about the # of reported bugs in
TeXmacs typesetting. I personally don't have much experience with TeXmacs to
say anything about it. Thats why I have this "TeX fetish".

I really like the editor display of TeXmacs. Unfortunately, I did find a lot
of annoyances (without finding any solutions) while trying to write a small
document with TeXmacs. Unfortunately, the kind fo problems that I am talking
about can only be explained while a TeXmacs guru is right next to me (live)
watching me trying to struggle with moving the mouse cursor over page
breaks...how to set breaks....working with graphics.. etc. I really cannot
explain these kinds of problems with words........I once thought about
creating a flash video of me trying to do something with TeX and graphically
ask a question. Unfortunately I cannot post big binaries in a group like
this. Is there anyway someone can suggest a way for me to ask questions like
these?

Salman