SUM operator

  • From: Carlos Duarte <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: SUM operator
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:35:26 +0100

Hi,

I know this has already been discussed, but I am yet to find a suitable
replacement.

The SUM operator does not accept indexes (at least that I know of). From a
mathematical point of view this is a very serious. You rarely sum to infinity
and when you have multiple sums, their order is of crucial importance. I read
in the list archives someone suggesting the use of a table to give indexes to
sum. This is extremely unelegant and sort of a quick fix. I would much more
prefer a straight TeXmacs implementation or else I'll be forced to use raw
LaTeX code (which I'm trying to avoid like the plague).
I don't believe it to be that hard to implement. It was done to the integral
operator (which, IMHO, was a lot less important as you can "simulate"
correctly with subscript and underscript).

Any comments / ideas / suggestions?

Cheers,

Carlos

Carlos Filipe Moreira Duarte,Lic. Chem. Eng.
Ph.D. Student
Laboratory of Separation and Reaction Engineering
Department of Chemical Engineering
Faculty of Engineering - University of Porto
Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, S/N
4200-465 Porto - PORTUGAL

Tel.:+351 22 508 1636 Fax.:+351 22 508 1674
Email: address@hidden

  • SUM operator, Carlos Duarte, 09/09/2003