Re: Browser buttons (RFF)

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • Cc: TeXmacs users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Browser buttons (RFF)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:41:55 +0200

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 01:50:57PM -0400, Alvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:

> I am wondering whether the browser buttons that appear in certain
> TeXmacs styles can be made a more permanent and generally useful
> feature. Particularly, I'm thinking of internal links. When I click
> the mouse button over a page number in the table of contents (or the
> index, for that matter) I am carried to the corresponding part of
> the text. But if I want to go "internally back", what should I do?.
> I think that it is intuitive to click in the "back" button. I thus
> can navigate to and from the TOC, examining the text. This is
> specially useful for the index, where you want to check your indexed
> entries and correct/standardize some of them.
>
> Likewise, I think that it would be a useful feature to have an "up"
> button. It would work for nested document navigation (child to
> master).
>
> Anything sensibly borrowing from a browser interface is bound for
> immediate understanding from the users, as I see it.
>
> comments?

These are all very good ideas.

However, the way the "back" and "forward" buttons were implemented
last time I checked was tighly coupled with the Help buffer and were
not easily usuable for anything else.

So, little hope for this in the short term.

--
-- ddaa

  • Browser buttons (RFF), Alvaro Tejero Cantero, 09/22/2003
    • Re: Browser buttons (RFF), David Allouche, 09/23/2003