TeXmacs fails to remember the file has been saved, and fails to remember the file name

  • From: Enrique Perez-Terron <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: TeXmacs fails to remember the file has been saved, and fails to remember the file name
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:26:39 +0200

I have TeXmacs-1.0.3.10-1.386.rpm installed.

I opened texmacs by clicking on its icon in the Gnome panel, so it was
started with no file name on the command line. The application window
came up with a title bar that said "No name".

I wrote a page or so, and did File->Save, got the question Save as: in
the message bar, gave the file name "Innføring_i_matematikk" (with no
extension), but after that the window title bar still said "No name".

I began investigating, but at the time of writing I feel unable to
remember and report accurately enough, so i decided to start over again,
test and take notes, which are included below.

I should mention that my locale is LANG=en_US.UTF-8.

1. opened texmacs from the Gnome panel,
2. got a question to recover an auto-save file, responded "n",
3. wrote some words,
4. did ctlr-x ctrl-s,
5. got question "Save as:", responded "Himla-test" (no extension),
6. a very brief time there was a message about "...prefix command".
I had no time to read it.
7. Then the message line said "Saved himla-test".

8. Coming back to texmacs after writing the lines above, the message bar
said Saved /home/enrique/...autosave..., when I switched workspace back
and forth to get the name accurately the message changed to "Generic
text roman 10".

9. I added a few more words, and
10. saved again ^x^s:
11. Save as: himla-test,
12. File exists, overwrite? "y",
13. a message was shown very briefly, less than half a second, then
14. "saved xxx", and effectively there was now a recently modified file
named xxx in my home directory. The title bar still says "no name".
15. File->Close TeXmacs,
16. There are unsaved files. Really quit? "n"
17. File->Close TeXmacs,
18. There are unsaved files. Really quit? "no" Both answers were
correctly accepted.
19. File->Save as... himla-test
20. File already exists. Overwrite existing file? y
21. message bar: saved /home/enrique/himla-test - title bar: No name
22. File->Save as... himla-stress.tm (a non-existing filename)
23. message bar: saved /home/enrique/himla-stress.tm - title bar:
himla-stress.tm

It appears that the file name only appears in the title bar if the file
name has a "legal" extension.

During the initial testing, I had the file name in the title bar which
was rendered incorrectly, as if the utf-8 encoding was interpreted as
is-8859-1.

24. File->Save as... Hømla-test.tm
25. message bar: saved Hømla-test.tm - Title bar: Hømla-test.tm, but
checking in a terminal window, the file had been saved using iso-8859-1
encoding of the name, in spite of the utf-8 locale.
26. ^x^c the window disappeared promptly
27. Restarted texmacs as before,
28. clicked the "load a file" toolbar icon, clicked Load buffer...
29. Wrote hømla-test.tm. Noticed the name of another file that was
displayed in the right panel, it too showed norwegian characters as two
non-ascii characters.
30. The correct file was loaded.

I think this list displays the issues I found.

Regards,
Enrique