Re: [TeXmacs] Space after operator

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • Cc: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Space after operator
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:55:29 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Alvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:
> Perhaps someone can give me expert advice on this:
>
> Which is the canonical amount of space after an operator?

That is a standard space which is fixed for the "texmath"
mathematical language. In the (far?) future, you should be
able to customize mathematical languages.

> Specifically, should I use [space] or [A-space] after an operator such
> as ch, exp, prob...?

You are supposed to use "space"; "A-space" is for physical spaces.

> Somehow, I find more pleasing the A-space version, specially when the
> expresion looks like:
>
> \ch r * a

Yes, but it is not clear whether "ch r*a" means "(ch r)*a" or "ch(r*a)".
The default intent is "(ch r)*a", but using the same space for " " and "*"
incites the user to put brackets for disambiguating such expressions.

  • Space after operator, Alvaro Tejero Cantero, 12/07/2004
    • Re: [TeXmacs] Space after operator, Joris van der Hoeven, 12/08/2004