Re: [TeXmacs] Need to understand this better

  • From: Dan Martens <address@hidden>
  • To: Marshall Feldman <address@hidden>
  • Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Need to understand this better
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:18:50 -0500

Thanks for the tip. I had MiKTeX installed already but assumed I'd be able
to set some preference parameter with the path to the version of TeX I
wanted to use. I still think having an explicit, specified path would be
useful: users could choose between different implementations of TeX
(including betas, etc.) and brief processing of the specified path could let
the user know immediately if the path is legitimate. Automatic font
generation when the .Texmacs folder is missing would also be nice to
document; even nicer would be having a menu item to trigger new font
generation.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but I will try to answer. There is an explicit specified path to TeX, through the TEX_HOME variable. This points to the root of the distribution that wintexmacs is to use. Font generation in Texmacs is automatic already, it is an on-demand system. When a font is referenced, texmacs does a few things
1) Check to see if the font is already loaded, if so, render it
2) If not loaded, then see if the .pk and .tfm for the referenced font exist, if so, then load it in and render it
3) If they don't exist, then go to TeX and ask it to compile the font to generate the .pk and .tfm files
4) If nothing goes right, then just render the default font instead (crm11 I think).

However, after doing what you suggested, I'm not sure if TeXmacs is either
not seeing the fonts or just taking a very long time to generate them. If I
select Format | Name | Latin, for example, nothing flies out for the next
level of the menu, but I hear something going on with my hard drive.

This is a due to a partial bug and the lack of fonts in MikTeX. The bug has been fixed, but many fonts that are under linux do not seem to be under MikTeX. I am not a TeX expert, so maybe someone out there who is can tell me how to obtain (or tell MikTeX) more fonts from the internet?

After receiving your note, I read up on fonts at
http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/fonts.en.html (a copy of this also
seems to be distributed with WinTeXmacs itself). Looking at my environment
variables, I could not find $TEXMACS_HOME_PATH, so I added one, pointing it
to C:\Documents and Settings\<my user name>\.TeXmacs. I deleted the .TeXmacs
file and restarted WinTeXmacs. According to the documentation on fonts, I
then expected to find a file under ~\.TeXmacs\system\ called TEX_PATHS, but
there is none.
Do not set TEXMACS_HOME_PATH, this variable is dynamically set at runtime and does not require adjustment. Don't worry about pathing fonts. As long as MikTeX is installed properly, kpsewhich will be used to discover paths to font packages automatically.

I'm not sure if WinTeXmacs is successfully seeing my MiKTeX directory
correctly. I installed it in C:\MiKTeX\Main (other things under C:\MiKTeX\
are related tools). Still, I'd expect it to generate at least the TEX_PATHS
file.

It should be installed under C:\texmf, please make sure that it is installed correctly by typing "kpsewhich" at the command line. If no output is generated, then it is installed.

Is there another way to verify that WinTeXmacs is seeing the MiKTeX fonts?
If it isn't, what am I doing wrong? If it is, why aren't I seeing their
names on the menu?

If you open one of the help documents with numerous fonts, texmacs will alert you that a TeX system could not be found. If this error is not shown, you should see a "generating fonts" message. If you would like to see what is going on behind the scenes for any error messages, start texmacs with the "--X-show-console" argument. Any errors should be reported in there.

--
Dan Martens
Western I.T. Group Inc.

  • Re: [TeXmacs] Need to understand this better, Dan Martens, 03/25/2005