2D mathematical input in TeXmacs for maxima

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
  • Subject: 2D mathematical input in TeXmacs for maxima
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:53:05 +0700 (NOVST)

Hello *,

Here is a new version of the TeXmacs-maxima interface with enhanced 2D
mathematical input. It works with the current cvs maxima, and will work
with maxima-5.9.2 (which will be released soon).

1. Installation
1.1. bin/tm_maxima goes to /usr/libexec/TeXmacs/bin
(it replaces an older version)
1.2. lisp/texmacs-maxima-5.9.2.lisp goes to
/usr/share/TeXmacs/plugins/maxima/lisp/
(this file is new)
1.3. progs/maxima-input.scm goes to
/usr/share/TeXmacs/plugins/maxima/progs
(it replaces an older version)

2. How to use
2.1. Start texmacs
2.2. Start maxima-5.9.1.1cvs with some lisp
2.3. Click the left icon in the lower row, check Mathematical input

3. What works
(you can use menus or keyboard equivalents to enter math expressions)
3.1. Simple things like powers etc.
3.2. Square roots, n-th roots
3.3. Greek letters (greek pi means %pi, greek gamma means the Euler
constant %ganna, greek capital Gamma means gamma-function);
to see capital greek letters in the output, you will also need a
patch to mactex.lisp which I recently submitted to maxima (not yet
in cvs)
3.4. Satrices, determinants
3.5. Infinity symbol, emptyset symbol
3.6. Sums
3.6.1. Input the big Sum symbol
3.6.2. As its lower index, input <summation_var> = <lower_bound>
3.6.3. As its upper index, input <upper_bound>
3.6.4. After the whole thing, input the summand
(for a reason unknown, you need to press the right arrow twice
to go from the upper limit to the position where you can input
the summand)
3.6.5. In order to show where the summand ends, you need to enter the
empty big closing delimiter. I know the following method to do
this:
\big <tab> . <enter>
If there is a simpler way, please, inform me
3.7. Products - similar to sums
(unlike sums, pressing the right arroe once brings you from the
upper limit to the position where you can type the expression).
3.8. Indefinite integrals
3.8.1. Input the big integral sign
3.8.2. Input the integrand
3.8.3. Input <blank>, then
d <tab> <tab> (to produce the differential sign),
then <blank>, then your integration variable
3.8.4. \big <tab> . <enter> (to show where the integral ends)
3.9. Definite integrals - similar to indefinite ones, but after entering
the big integral sign you enter the lower and the upper limits as
its indices

Best wishes,
Andrey

  • 2D mathematical input in TeXmacs for maxima, Andrey G. Grozin, 03/28/2005