Maxima plots into TeXmacs

  • From: Robert Jerrard <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Maxima plots into TeXmacs
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 12:27:20 -0600

Hello, I hope to use TeXmacs as a front-end for Maxima in some fall
courses. It would be nice to have a method for getting the result of a
plot2d command (for instance) into the TeXmacs document in a single
step. At the moment I know I can do the command:

plot2d(x^2,[x,-1,1],[gnuplot_term,ps],[gnuplot_out_file,"sample.eps"])

in a Maxima session then insert the resulting image file sample.eps. To
me, this is just fine. However, I can already hear the wailing and
gnashing of teeth from first year students who will think this is far to
complicated a process. A one step solution in TeXmacs would be more
palatable to students. Any suggestions or should I just ask them to grow
up?

Thanks, Bob
--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,