Re: [TeXmacs] New draw mode

  • From: Ralf Treinen <address@hidden>
  • To: Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] New draw mode
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:30:50 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 09:45:26AM -0500, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Talking about the sid version of TeXmacs 1.5.10, I remember that when I
> was trying to keep following the developments of the last version of
> TeXmacs some time ago, I put the sid repository and installed TeXmacs
> from there. With the time, getting TeXmacs implied getting a lot of
> stuff from sid and having mixed repositories at the end not was a pretty
> good idea in terms of stability.

You are right in that the texmacs packages that I upload to debian
experimental are compiled against debian unstable. I can imagine that
partial upgrading of library packages from unstable leads easily to a mess.
Hence, you probably should run debian unstable when you want to install the
texmacs packages from experimental (debian/testing might also do).

> ¿Have you considered putting TeXmacs debian latest packages available
> throught volatile[1], so debian users can get the latest version and
> help with development testing new features without sacrifice stability?

If I understand you right you mean a backport of the latest texmacs
packages to debian/stable. This is a legitimate request and it can be done;
the volatile distribution, however, is not the proper place for this. I do
not run debian/stable on my machine, and anyway wouldn't have the time
to build backports to deian/stable. But if there are volunteers for
creating such a backport archive I can give a hand. The person doing
these backports should have some knowledge of the debian infrastructure,
and be able to cope for instance with the fact that the build environment
may differ between sid/experimental and stable (like gcc-4.0 versus gcc-3).

-Ralf.