figure numbers in the list of figures

  • From: Kris Kuhlman <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: figure numbers in the list of figures
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:04:40 -0700

I have a large document using the book style which has several chapters; the figures and tables in the document are numbered by chapter (e.g., in chapter 3 they are Figure 3.1, 3.2, etc.).

I need the auto-generated list of figures and list of tables (which have several hundred entries) to indicate the figure number, not just the caption.

Previously I have been shown how to sequentially number the figures from 1..n, by simply creating a counter which is incremented as the list of figures / tables is created. This solves part of my problem, but I have not been able to figure out how to make the numbering be like it is in the Table of Contents.

Does someone understand how this works, and could at least point me in the right direction? TeXmacs is such a great program and everything looks wonderful, except the List of Figures and List of Tables seem quite inflexible in their construction.

Thanks for all your wonderful help.

Kris