SegFault from bad strings in TeXmacs/progs/doc/docgrep.scm (Guile-1.8 incompatibility?)

  • From: Jeremy Henty <address@hidden>
  • To: TeXmacs users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: SegFault from bad strings in TeXmacs/progs/doc/docgrep.scm (Guile-1.8 incompatibility?)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:50:14 +0100

When I press F1 TeXmacs does nothing except dump some errors to
standard output. If I press F1 again it segfaults.

The problem appears to be the literal strings "No matches found
for#\`\`" and "Results of the search for#\`\`" in
progs/doc/docgrep.scm . Guile rejects the "\`" as invalid read
syntax.

Is there any reason not to hack those strings so as to read "No
matches found for ``" and "Results of the search for ``"? It's not
clear to me what the point of the "#\`\`" syntax is anyway.

(In case you're wondering why I didn't just try it, well I did and
promptly hit another bug (to be reported separately), so I don't know
whether my hacked strings will give sensible results.)

I suspect that this is an incompatibility between Guile 1.6 and Guile
1.8; the 1.6 documentation suggests that \ escapes any character
whereas 1.8 explicitly lists the valid \<char> escape sequences. I've
searched the rest of the TeXmacs scheme files and these two strings
are the only ones that use invalid \-escapes.

I'm running TeXmacs 1.0.6.10 on Guile 1.8.1 . I've appended the full
transcript (with backtrace enabled).

Yay backwards-incomatibility!

Regards,

Jeremy Henty

$ texmacs
TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support
TeXmacs] Loading corktounicode
TeXmacs] Loading unicode-cork-oneway
TeXmacs] Loading tmuniversaltounicode
TeXmacs] Loading unicode-symbol-oneway
Backtrace:
In unknown file:
?: 0* [primitive-load "/usr/share/TeXmacs/progs/doc/docgrep.scm"]

<unnamed port>: In procedure scm_lreadr in expression (primitive-load name):
<unnamed port>: /usr/share/TeXmacs/progs/doc/docgrep.scm:60:56: illegal
character in escape sequence: #\`
Segmentation fault