Re: [TeXmacs] Question about TeXmacs and Zed notation.

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Bill White <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Question about TeXmacs and Zed notation.
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:03:13 +0200

Bill White wrote:

I think it will
be easier to just create a new style file, or maybe some new
kind of TeXmacs package.

That's what you need to do, as a matter of fact.

This is because you can import LaTeX *text* in TeXmacs,
but TeXmacs cannot automatically translate the LaTeX style
files into TeXmacs style files, the two style languages are
way too different.

There are a lot of mathematical operators in Zed which are not native
to TeX, but which can be made up of TeX symbols. I am guessing
these can be done similarly in TeXmacs, though I have not tried
yet. The problem is in representing what we call schemas. These
are essentially pairs:
<Variable Declarations, Constraints>
where each Variable Declaration is a set of variables and a type,
and the Constraints are formulas. The visible representation
of a schema is something like this, where // is like a C++
comment, not found in Zed, but only in this sample.

+----- Name ---
+------
| V1 \in V2
+--------------
I've drawn this with a ascii characters, but the |, - and + signs
are meant to be lines and corners.

So, from the documentation in the Help menu, I can't see how to do the
following
in a TeXmacs style file.
1.) Draw lines to represent a schema.

Why drawing lines ? What about using tables (try Insert->Table->Plain block) ?

2.) Add the special Zed notation characters to the math mode menus
or the keyboard.

Have a look at:
http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~henri/texmacs/aTeXmacsTutorial.pdf

For a quick start about how to write TeXmacs extensions (including
writing stylesheet, adding keyboard shortcuts and adding new
interface elements like menus).

The corresponding example files are currently broken, but a look
in the TeXmacs source code (e.g.:
[[
src/TeXmacs/progs/generic/format-menu.scm
]]

provides you with lots of examples from where you can extract
information for you own devise.

Best, Henri