light weight mobile TeXmacs system

  • From: "chu-ching huang" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: light weight mobile TeXmacs system
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:02:53 +0800

Hi all,

Recently, I try to build a bootable platform with Texmacs. Slax is a flexible
live linux based on Slackware Linux. Slax linux owns elementary necessary
functions and is under 200 Mbytes. The best is that it allows user to scale
the whole system by adding independent "modules". At this moment, slax
official site supports only texmacs-1.0.6.lzm, which lzm is named by its
compressed method.

Based on last slax version, slax rc7, I rebuilded guile-1.8.3.lzm,
TeXmacs-1.0.6.12.lzm, maxima-5.14.lzm (to solve the library dependency). With
other modules gnuplot-4.2.1.lzm etc, a light weight
live linux system with TeXmacs is created with size only about 330 Mbytes!

I will upload it to ftp://math.cgu.edu.tw/pub/slax

You can try it as mobile TeXmacs system!

P.S.
1. This platform can be smaller after burn to cdrom if unnecessary
modules are removed, for examples, blender, python, libtools etc.

2. In future update, you can download the newest slax from official site and
copy original modules into "/slax/modules" directory.

3. You can also make a read/write USB pendriver bootable Linux. First create a
cdrom version. Prepare a 512 Mbytes USB pendriver, copy all the directory into
USB pendriver and execute /boot/bootinst to make it bootable.
Then a USB Linux with TeXmacs is created. Remember it is "writable" without
any configuration after created. If you want to make a new image based on your
whole environment, just execute /slax/make_iso.

Best regards,

cch