Re: [TeXmacs] [BUGREPORT] Compiling TeXmacs from source on MacOS

  • From: Martin Costabel <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] [BUGREPORT] Compiling TeXmacs from source on MacOS
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 23:34:59 +0100

Henri Lesourd wrote:
On MacOS X with Aqua, impossible to compile
from source without errors :

1/ in glue.cpp, inside the functions scm_to_string()
and scm_to_symbol, the lines :
[[
guile_str_size_t len_r;
char* _r= scm_scm2str (s, &len_r);
guile_str_size_t len_r;
char* _r= scm_scm2symbol (s, &len_r);
]]
have a problem, the compiler doesn't automagically
accepts converting &len_r from size_t* to int* (at
least that's what it claims...).

When I compile texmacs-1.0.6.12 on MacOSX 10.5, this problem is caught by the configure script which has a test for precisely this question. It puts
#define guile_str_size_t size_t
into config.h.
This corresponds to what my libguile.17.dylib is using, as witnessed by the corresponding declaration in guile/gh.h:
SCM_API char *gh_scm2newstr(SCM str, size_t *lenp);

Casting to (int*) enables compiling glue.cpp ;

If this is necessary, the configure script isn't doing its job.

2/ the makefile doesn't work, for the version of "ld"
shipped with Mac OS X on the machine I had doesn't
understands the "-rpath" option inside -lW (explicitely,
it tells me : I don't recognize "-rpath") ;

On MacOSX 10.4 and earlier, -rpath was indeed unknown. On MacOSX 10.5 it exists as an ld flag, but it will probably not do what you think it does. Searching for shared libraries works differently on MacOSX than on linux.

In which part of the sources does this problem appear? I see -rpath in the CONFIG_BPATH variable, but again, configure sets this to "" on MacOSX, and uses -rpath only on linux. I see it also in the maple plugin, but also only in the context of linux.

Don't know what to do (it was not my machine, I'm not
a Mac user). Perhaps some Mac user would be interested
in trying compiling TeXmacs from source, seeing if

What sources are these? Not those of texmacs-1.0.6.12, it seems.

--
Martin