Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs does not start in debian lenny

  • From: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs does not start in debian lenny
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:51:44 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

> HI all.
> I have installed texmacs from debian lenny repositories.
> when I start it I get this error:
>
> :~$ texmacs
> texmacs.bin: Symbol `scm_i_freelist' has different size in shared
> object, consider re-linking
> TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support
> Segmentation fault
>
> What can be the reason?

The texmacs in testing branch (Lenny) of Debian is currently broken. You
have two options.

1) Install the guile 1.8.2+1-2 packages (or a later version of it) from
unstable.
2) Install texmacs directly from unstable.

My suggestion would be to go with the first option.

The reason is kind of complicated. Texmacs depends upon guile-1.8 libraries.
At some point, the guile maintainer decided to enable threads in guile
without our knowledge. But this produced libraries which are binary
incompatible when threads are not enabled. Afterwards the guile maintainer
disabled the threads functionality due to this incompatibility.

It so happens that, texmacs in testing branch was compiled with guile with
threads enabled. But the testing branch itself contains guile without any
threads support.

This problem should have been sorted out by itself once the latest version
of guile or texmacs enters into testing from unstable.
But the current version of guile in unstable 1.8.3+1-1 is not compiling on
alpha, sparc architectures. So the latest version of guile is not entering
testing branch.
The current version of texmacs in unstable 1:1.0.6.11-3.1 depends upon
ghostscript-x which has no candidate in testing branch. So it is also not
entering into testing ...

More info on this problem can be found at

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi