Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs 1.0.7 and ubuntu hardy

  • From: "Alvaro Tejero Cantero" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs 1.0.7 and ubuntu hardy
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:44:46 +0200
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=o3M0Q74fwpAA0rEnuy47aL5swWCFYZKyOZA3yNcVhstQPu/wqC/fGWKecZOyjZa/vo PbozWBF/WmhzNHSBSspsbv11M1Vv1hP/DRQ9IMaXI4U5ybAb/VXSNlM7yUmWbnbWOLHU m4vVWLhq792dx8m36FwDPr0n+5md+BQpaqpqI=

> in order to test the last version, i would have some questions :
>
> could you please remind me what are the necessary packages in order to
> compile the latest texmacs version ?

a non-limitative list is:

apt-get install guile-1.8 guile-1.8-dev libfreetype6-dev libx11-dev
libxext-dev

if configure still fails, just mail me and I will tell you what is missing.

> Is the latest stable version on the site this 1.0.7 version ?
>
> When i will compile texmacs, what are the options i have to put ? Is enable
> qt necessary ?

Yes, and it is advisable also to enable the debugging symbols. This
way you can give more complete error reports (backtraces) if the
program crashes.

./configure --enable-qt --enable-debug
./make

> What does qt offer to the end user i am ?

shortcuts to the menues, a more polished interface in general and
other things that won't be available immediately but after the QT port
has stabilized. Meanwhile it gives you the possibility to help TeXmacs
development, by checking if stuff that is working in normal (xlib)
texmacs works also in QT. The faster the QT port is done, the sooner
we will have other features, not necessarily web-related. Also the
TeXmacs community hopes to attract more hackers to the project by the
use of QT.

If you keep a locally installed copy of TeXmacs-qt (i.e. don't 'make
install') just by changing TEXMACS_PATH you can run your normal,
stable texmacs and the QT port for comparison and bug reporting.

> What's new with this version ?

there are messages in the archives talking about it as well as a
changelog on the website.

Álvaro.