Re: [TeXmacs] [UTF-8?]cl矇 usb

  • From: "chu-ching huang" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] [UTF-8?]cl矇 usb
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:46:46 +0800

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:01:08 +0100, Marc Lalaude-Labayle wrote
> Hi,
>
> there already exists such a solution : liveTeXmacs.
>
> I just can't use it on a usb key and i am not sure wether the texmacs
> version is old or not.
>
> Regards
>
> Marc
>
> Le samedi 22 novembre 2008 [UTF-8?]&#65533; 17:57 +0100, el.douwen a
> [UTF-8?]矇crit :
> > >

> > > 3°) you make your usb key a usb live key (under linux) in wich you
> > > have
> > > texmacs and all the packages you need. I have never done this before,
> > > but i am planning to make such a usb disk for my colleagues who want
> > > use FULL texmacs without linux.
> >
> > hi Marc
> >
> > i am very interested
> > when you are ready with such a key, please keep me informed !
> > can i understand that your key will let boot texmacs on any computer ?
> > that would be FANTASTIC
> >
> > Vincent

Yes, LiveTeXmacs can run on USB stick as well as run on DVD! The last
LiveTeXmacs now is more flexible than ever: it is designed like lego-block
structure. You can activate/add new modules whenever you want to usethem.

The last version (1.4G) is focus on Python computing/visualization and
contains the following classified packages:

a) full slax linux system(200mb);
b) CAS: TeXmacs-1.0.7, Axiom2008, Scilab-5.0.1, octave, Maxima-5.16.13, etc;
c) Python-2.6:, scipy/numpy, visual Python, SageMath etc;
d) development environment: gcc-4.2.3 and gfortran etc;

Of course, only 200mb slax linux can run on several PC's or latop's with a
compact linux system. The left part of LiveTeXmacs (about 1.2G) enhances
b),c) and d) above.

The fantastic feature of LiveTeXmacs is that:

You can make the new package, deactivate old one and activate the last
package.

For example, TeXmacs-1.0.7 in in the system. As CVS or the next version is
released, you can make the newest one and replace the old one just within
LiveTeXmacs.

How to make a USB TeXmacs system

1.download liveTeXmacs from

http://diffusion.cgu.edu.tw/ftp/modules/TeXmacs-CAS-python2.6-1.0.7.iso

burn it to dvd and copy all the files to your USB stick (2G or more, with w32
or xfs format).

2. enter boot directory and execute

windows> bootinst d: (where d: is assigned by Windows)
or
linux> ./bootinst.sh /dev/sda1 ( where sda1 is the device recognized
by system)

3. If necessary, change the BIOS boot sequence to the USB STICK first.

4. To accelerate the boot speed, only basic system modules are activate at the
boot stage. Activate the CAS packages or other packages by the shell script
after booting:

> /mnt/sda1/activate.sh cas
or
> /mnt/sda1/activate.sh python

Press [Alt]+[Ctrl]+[Backsplace] to refresh screen and run the some shell
script in /etc/profile.d. The shortcuts will be displayed on the desktop.

Now it is bootable and workable with CAS. Here is a TeXmacs demo:

http://diffusion.cgu.edu.tw/ftp/texmacs/20081115.pdf

working on USB stick given in our lecture this semester (not well formated and
not completed). All the attendants in this class use USB Linux system!

Upgrade

1. (system upgrate) download the last slax linux iso from http://www.slax.org
and copy "boot" and "slax" to USB stick. Repeat the 1) and 2)
2. (packages upgrate) copy the new package to the USB and activate it.
3. (Make new package by yourself) activate the development tools:
> /mnt/sda1/activate.sh gcc
> tar xvfz src.tgz
configure, make and make install, et voila.

I also made several packages (over 100) and put them in

http://diffusion.cgu.edu.tw/ftp/modules/

Welcome to try it out and feel free to ask any questions.

Best wishes,

cch