Re: [TeXmacs] long documents ?

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] long documents ?
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:47:31 +0100

Immanuel Normann wrote:

2008/12/8 Henri Lesourd <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>

el.douwen wrote:

Can you manipulate 100 pages docuemnts with texmacs ? i dont
think so

Matter of fact, the typesetting can become slow with around 100
pages. But if you measure the time of *one* typesetting, TeXmacs
typesetting algorithms are anyway much faster. Ya pas photo.

It should be honestly said that [...] even if you chop your long document in chapters of say 20 pages you will notice an annoying slow down - at least this is my experience.
I experienced the annoyance for more than 20 pages. But we agree, there is a slowdown. The root cause of this problem is that in TeXmacs, the display of a page depends on what is before, while in editors like M$-word, typesetting a page is much faster, because what you see on the screen is only an incompletely updated typesetting, which doesn't depends very much on the content of the previous pages, global variables, etc. (at least it was this way in the (long gone) times where I was still using word).

Nevertheless I favour TeXmacs over LaTeX, because I find the compiling and debugging cycle (in particular missing $) in LaTeX much more annoying.

I definitely agree with this. This is the blocking point with LaTeX: its antediluvian debugging cycle and error handling.