Re: [TeXmacs] Compiling Texmacs 1.0.7 in Ubuntu 8.10

  • From: Davide Anchisi <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Compiling Texmacs 1.0.7 in Ubuntu 8.10
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:42:49 +0200

Hi,

I have beeen away for some time, and hope this massage will (still) help.

Thanks for the suggestion, using gcc-4.2 g++-4.2 cpp-4.2 I could compile texmacs_1.0.7-2.

I used the "apt-get -b source" procedure, to get and compile from debian archives.

Now texmacs_1.0.7-2 is in debian "testing" (and also "unstable").
The first time some of you tried was only in "unstable".

When a new realise of a software is out it does not automatically enters debian.
When it does it is put in "unstable". Only after 15 days, if no problem arises with the package, it is moved to "testing".
To check it you can use the search package page on debian web site (http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages), and select "any" distribution and then enter the package name you are searching for. That will list which packages match the search string, their version, and in which distribution are.

So, if it is not yet in debian and you cannot wait, you have to use the ".configure; make; make install" method".
If the package is only in "debian unstable" you have to add in /etc/apt/sources.list a line like the following:

deb-src http://DEBIAN_MIRROR/debian/ unstable main contrib

and then run: sudo apt-get update

Otherwise you have to wait for the package to enter "debian testing", which can mean a little bit more confidence of stability within the distribution.

Best,

Davide

Quoting Paul Zarucki <address@hidden>:

Hi all,

I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 8.10 (i386 32-bit version) and tried
to compile Texmacs 1.0.7. As reported by Andrea Gamba, it fails with
the following error:

g++ -ISystem -ISystem/Boot -ISystem/Classes -ISystem/Files
-ISystem/Link -ISystem/Misc -ISystem/Language -IKernel/Abstractions
-IKernel/Containers -IKernel/Types -IData/Convert -IData/Drd
-IData/Observers -IData/String -IData/Tmfs -IData/Tree -IGuile
-IGraphics/Bitmap_fonts -IGraphics/Fonts -IGraphics/Gui
-IGraphics/Mathematics -IGraphics/Renderer -IPlugins -ITypeset
-ITypeset/Bridge -ITypeset/Concat -ITypeset/Page -IEdit -IPlugins
-ITexmacs -IEdit/Editor -IEdit/Interface -IEdit/Modify
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -pthread -Wall -Wno-return-type -O3
-fexpensive-optimizations -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -c
./Edit/Editor/edit_typeset.cpp -o Objects/edit_typeset.o
Kernel/Containers/hashmap_extra.cpp: In constructor ‘hashmap<T,
U>::hashmap(U, tree) [with T = string, U = tree]’:
./Edit/Editor/edit_typeset.cpp:358: instantiated from here
Kernel/Containers/hashmap_extra.cpp:126: error: no matching function
for call to ‘copy(tree&)’
Kernel/Abstractions/basic.hpp:99: note: candidates are: int copy(int)
Kernel/Types/string.hpp:50: note: string copy(string)
make[2]: *** [Objects/edit_typeset.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/Desktop/texmacs-1.0.7/src'
make[1]: *** [TEXMACS] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/Desktop/texmacs-1.0.7'
make: *** [debian/stamp-makefile-build] Error 2

I get the same error whether I compile the source code in the generic
way (as in my script) or if I try to make a Debian package using the
procedure adapted from Davide Anchisi as follows:

# Add Debian Testing to your list of repositories then:
sudo apt-get update

# Install some packages we need:
sudo apt-get install fakeroot dpkg-dev

# Install Texmacs dependencies:
sudo apt-get install groff texlive-base texlive-extra-utils
texlive-font-utils texlive-math-extra

# Get the source code and compile it to make a new package:
apt-get source texmacs
sudo apt-get build-dep texmacs
apt-get -b source texmacs

# Install the new Texmacs package:
sudo dpkg -i *deb

Could the problem be a missing dependency or do I need the CVS version
of Texmacs? The version I am using compiles perfectly on Ubuntu 8.04
and Debian 4.0.

Regards,

Paul.

Andrea Gamba wrote:
Hi,

I have been reading the posts about texmacs 1.0.7 in Ubuntu. I have tried to
install 1.0.7 on a cleanly installed Intrepid i386 box, but with lot of
problems.

I have tried with three different methods:

1) downloading debs from Debian experimental. The debs get installed but the
program crashes.

2) the script kindly provided by Paul Zarucki. I get a compilation error in the
end.

3) transforming the rpm available on the texmacs site with alien. It works
(it's the way I am happily using texmacs 1.0.7) but texmacs mime type is not
recognized (no corresponding icons on the desktop, no opening the program by
clicking on the icons). Also, I had to fix by hands the interfaces to several
mathematical packages. These are minor problems but annoying ones. I know how
to solve them by hands (I posted about it), I think therefore that it should
not be difficult to solve them at the level of the deb file (but I am not able
to do it myself.)

I hoped that there would be a deb package of 1.0.7 for Ubuntu 9.04, which will
be out in the end of April, but it seems that they are still at 1.0.6. I
noticed that 1.0.7 fixed a lot of bugs, so it's a pity it will not available in
the next Ubuntu realease. If there would be a deb available, I would be happy
to test it to check the working of interfaces to several mathematical packages.

So my question is: will there be a deb package for Ubuntu 9.04 before its
release? or is it possible that there would be one available in backports? or
at least one for Ubuntu 9.10?

Ubuntu is one of the more popular distributions around, in an ideal world a deb
to the last texmacs version should be available and working out of the box
together with good gnome integration (recognizing mime types) and integration
with mathematical packages (sessions working out of the box, no sh-bash
problems etc.)

During the years I have been using texmacs more and more and I am more or less
able to fix problems. However new users may be scared away by a buggy interface
or difficulties in the installation. This hampers the wider adoption of an
outstanding program while a small effort would allow to solve these
comparatively minor problems.

Andrea

--

/ *Electronic Equipments Ltd.*
101 Ridgeway Avenue, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU5 4QN, United Kingdom

/ Technical Services /

SEMEL (SErvizio di Messaging ELettronico) - CSIT -Universita' di Udine