Re: [TeXmacs] Re: Problem using cocoa TeXmacs SVN on Mac OSX

  • From: Peter Rapčan <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Re: Problem using cocoa TeXmacs SVN on Mac OSX
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:34:50 +0100

Hi Max,

Thanks for posting the QT port binary. I just gave it a try and I have some
issues (on 10.6.2):

- the file choice dialog window (e.g. when loading/"saving as" a file) does
not show all mounted volumes (in the left pane of the window) and the
/Volumes directory is not displayed. Thus, one cannot reach (via the dialog
window) files located on some mounts (e.g. sshfs filesystems mounted via
Macfusion).
- When the file choice dialog window is open, the CPU utilizatian (by
texmacs.app) goes to 100%

One more question: How is it with sessions (with external programs native to
OS X) support on os X? Last time I tried (with the X window version of
texmacs), mathematica was not detected (as it is not in /bin nor /sw/bin
directory, but is within its package usually at
/Applications/Mathematica/......). Creating a link file in /sw/bin/ where did
not work either.

As far as usability of texmacs under OS X is concerned, I think such OS X
specific things should work (be it X, QT or cocoa version). Of course a Cocoa
port would be ideal (I personally dislike QT on OS X, it's just weird - I
like plain X-windows apps more than QT).

To finish with something constructive, let me ask this: would it help to
make a donation to support a fully functional cocoa port supporting OS X
specific issues (like the sessions stuff). If "only" money (for someone's
time) is the problem, I am certainly willing to contribute. Maybe other OS X
users are willing too... At the end, we've payed for other apps, including
the operating system.

Cheers,

Peter.