Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs name

  • From: Alfe <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs name
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:56:33 +0100

Hi everybody,

I do not really care what the program is named.

I find the current name logical, based upon the knowledge where the origins
lie and where the ideas in the beginning of the development came from. So
it's kind of a story-telling name. Since I also used the Emacs a lot and
have some experience with LaTeX, both name parts never revoked me.

On the other hand I understand that neither "Emacs" nor "(La)TeX" produce
associations of a simple handling or an easy understanding, which TeXmacs
strives to offer. So the current name is rather correct from a historical
point of view and does neither describe what the program strives to be like
nor what it really is. And, even worse, it does not attract the users in
masses.

A new name could solve these issues at the cost every name change brings
along: Some people now already heard the name "TeXmacs" and have it vaguely
in the backs of their heads, maybe they even select it from the packages upon
installing a new Linux distribution, but this gain is lost when tomorrow we
are named "StructureType" or "PariScien" or whatever. A new brand would have
to be established.

I already went through this with Sodipodi which spawned Inkscape, and you
know what? It didn't hurt at all.

Alfe