[TeXmacs] TeXmacs newbie questions

  • From: Alok Govil <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs newbie questions
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 14:30:56 -0700

Hi all,

Quite surprisingly, I learned about TeXmacs only recently even though I was familiar with Lyx for some time.  I am interested in using TeXmacs as a replacement for, well, everything from a simple text editor to word processor, to literate programming, to even presentations if possible.  Please note that my idea is not to use TeXmacs to just generate PDFs and HTML pages, but majorly use TeXmacs by itself.  This is one of the reasons why I prefer TeXmacs to Lyx.

I have been test-driving TeXmacs on Windows (latest Qt version).  I have read almost all of the tutorials and manuals, but still have not been able to figure out the following things.  Any help with any of these would be highly appreciated.

1.  When I compare two revisions of .tm files that have no images in them, I am able to see the changes highlighted.  If however I have images in either of the .tm files, I am unable to see any changes.  I have attached four files that are revisions of each other, with and without images.
2.  How do I make hyperlinks clickable?  Whether activated or deactivated, I cannot click it to open the link in an Internet browser.  Right-clicking activated hyperlink shows a menu with "No action defined".  I am ready to do a deep dive into the .scm files for this if needed.
3.  Export to HTML is not working.  Output file is always zero bytes in size.  PDF export is working fine (and hyperlinks are clickable).  Is there some dependence on external tools?
4.  Is there a design style for creating PowerPoint-like presentations?
5.  If I have two paragraphs, I am not able to join them by deleting the "newline" between them.  I understand that the latter is too much classical Word processing and not the TeXmacs way!  So what is the right way then?  :-)
6.  If I insert .PNG images, it works fine.  If I insert .gif files, they are not visible even though they block some area on the screen.  This is not a critical issue for me.
7.  For tables, how do I make the borders visible or invisible?  If I create a "plain" table, then borders are visible.  How do I make them invisible?
8.  Not sure if this, but this happened to me.  If I save a .tm file without the extension in error, the style/formatting information disappears from the file.  Even changing the filename to include .tm extension did not recover it.  I have not tried to repeat this again yet.

I attempted to look through some of the message archives of this list, but could not see much relevant to the above.  Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards - Alok