Re: [TeXmacs] Selection and upper indices

  • From: Chris Austin <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Selection and upper indices
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:57:58 +0000

I am also using TeXmacs 1.0.7.10. I have also noticed that part of a
selection that appears to be selected, is sometimes not actually selected,
which you find out when you paste the selection somewhere. For me it
happened most often with integral signs, but I have found that if I extend
the selection a bit further into the blank space to the left of the integral
sign, I do get the integral sign.

With the integral sign, there is a visual clue to this: if the integral sign
is really selected, then the red selection box extends fully to the left of
the pale blue selection box; while if the red selection box encloses the
integral sign, but the integral sign is not really selected, the pale blue
selection box extends typically about a millimetre, (in my netbook), further
to the left than the red selection box.

A practical problem that sometimes arises when you are trying to extend the
red selection box fully to the left end of the pale blue selection box, is
that TeXmacs is sometimes "over-eager" to extend the selection over the whole
of what it thinks is a "logical unit". You try to extend the red selection
box that extra millimetre to the left, and suddenly the red selection box
shoots outwards to the right as well, selecting a large piece of the equation
that you did not want to select.

I would like to suggest that the behaviour where TeXmacs automatically
extends a selection over a "logical unit", for example automatically
extending the red selection box to include a matching right parenthesis,
should only occur when you press Shift while dragging the selection box,
because when manipulating an equation, it is often very useful to be able to
select just a left parenthesis and the start of what follows it, but not
everything up to and including the matching right parenthesis. In 1.0.7.10 I
have tried to turn off the "snap the selection over a logical unit" behaviour
by changing the settings of Edit | Preferences | Mathematics | Context aids
and Edit | Preferences | Mathematics | Semantics, but I have not found a way
to do it.

In general, I would like to say that I think TeXmacs is a really wonderful
program that I make very heavy use of, and I hope your forthcoming TeXmacs
meeting is a great success.