Re: [TeXmacs] Sympy plugin

  • From: "David E. Miller" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Sympy plugin
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 12:59:52 -0400
  • X_cmae_category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined

I agree with Andrey and Abraham about this (2nd) optional Mathematical Input option feature that is peculiar to TeXmacs sessions if selected. However, I was responding more directly to the issue Bill Eaton raised of looking for a replacement for MathCAD. For those familiar with that environment, it is very different than the Maxima command line interface whether TeXmacs Maxima plugin sessions are involved or not. The Mathematical Input option of TeXmacs has some similarities in that what is considered input looks like a typeset quality, standard, formatted mathematical _expression_, but that is where the similarity ends. In the end Maxima is a command line interface and MathCAD is a graphical worksheet interface. I probably should have made this clear by elaboration as I have done here. My mistake.

The other issue on my mind is that there are probably those that would recommend that Bill and other new users to TeXmacs or Maxima might learn these programs best by jumping in with the Mathematical Input option provided by TeXmacs. I would not be one of those making that recommendation. I would recommend something in the middle for new TeXmacs users. Learn TeXmacs and learn Maxima (using say, wxMaxima as an interface) and then learn how to use them together. Whether or not to use the Mathematical Input option at that point is a matter of choice that depends on the experience, personal preference and confidence of the individual. In any case, a new user will probably learn next to nothing about how Maxima really works in terms of input expressions by using the Mathematical Input option of TeXmacs from the start.

I am indebted to both gentlemen for providing their knowledge and wisdom relevant to issues such as we have here. This is how we all learn from each other.

Thanks,

David Miller