Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs and knot theory

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs and knot theory
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:19:06 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 02:56:20PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> i'd like to know if it is possible to typeset a knot theory article with
> TeXmacs. In this kind of papers, we can find calculus wich mix numbers,
> letters and complicated diagrams (knots, tangles...). You may find examples
> with Google and key words like "knots", "links", "Jones polynomial",
> "Kauffman polynomial", "quatum invariants", etc.
>
> If someone has tried this kind of typesetting with TeXmacs, let me know,
> please.

In principle, TeXmacs should be helpful for this kind of task,
since TeXmacs has an integrated drawing tool for simple diagrams.

You will probably like Insert -> Geometry -> Crop -> Crop
which allows you to crop images, after which you can copy and paste
them into the main text. The keys + and - will also be handy for
zooming in and out. Be careful to choose a consistent line width.

If certain diagrams come back often, then you may create
TeXmacs macros for them. Any proposal for a consistent set
of (high quality) macros for knot theory would be welcome,
and would probably be integrated into the distribution.

I finally have some old plans to add two dimensional dash styles,
e.g. using a "rope image" instead of a dash. Knot theory was
precisely the application that I had in mind. However,
time has been lacking so far.

Best wishes, --Joris