[TeXmacs] Inline plotting using Maxima

  • From: BPou <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Inline plotting using Maxima
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:00:38 +0100

Hi all
I have been trying to find an open alternative to the proprietary CAS we use in class. I ended up using a maxima session in texmacs. For a while this worked well, but I found one, rather frustrating issue: apparently I was unable to get my plots embedded automatically into my document. They where shown in separate windows. I know that I can save the plot to an image file and embed that image into the document, but I was hoping for a solution more like the one I found in the GNUplot session (every plot is outputted as result of my plot command). After a while, I found the following solution:
1. set GNUplot terminal to latex: set_plot_option([gnuplot_term, "latex"])
2. Output it to a temporary file: set_plot_option([gnuplot_out_file, "/tmp/plot"])
3. Generate your plot, I use plot2d the most
4. Print the content of the output file to the maxima session: printfile("/tmp/plot")
5. Wrap this into a function called "graph", and use that instead of plot2d
However, the output of this is interpreted in LaTex math mode, which does not support latex \begin{picture}. So my question is: is there a way to exit math mode, or to draw a latex picture in math mode?

Best regards BPou

  • [TeXmacs] Inline plotting using Maxima, BPou, 01/04/2015