Re: [sci.frank@gmail.com: Fwd: Re: Guile 1.8 on Debian derivatives]

  • From: Frank <address@hidden>
  • To: Denis RAUX <address@hidden>
  • Cc: TeXmacs <address@hidden>, TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [address@hidden: Fwd: Re: Guile 1.8 on Debian derivatives]
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 19:25:24 +0100

Hello,

Now I understand how to build Debian package with debug symbols. For new debhelpers, it is very easy - no essential extra work is needed.

The first thing is that you need to rewrite debian/rules. Your original version (https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:DenisRx:TeXmacs/TeXmacs/debian.rules?expand=1) is unnecessarily over-complicated and error-prone. In order to customize, you only need to write override_dh_*. In this way, you can still invoke original dh_* programs.

A sample and explanation of debian/rules could be found at https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dreq.en.html#rules

The second thing is that Debian sets default CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS before running ./configure which includes '-O2', therefore debuild will ignore TeXmacs' platform oriented optimizations. Therefore I added DEB_CFLAGS_MAINT_STRIP and DEB_CXXFLAGS_MAINT_STRIP to exclude possible '-O1' and '-O2'. By default, it still contains "-g".

After setting these, build the package normally by "debuild -b -uc -us", the dpkg will *automatically* strips the debug symbols into a dbgsym package. No further efforts are needed! Consequently, I can load debug symbols with gdb:

Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/TeXmacs/bin/texmacs.bin...Reading symbols from /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/8a/0cdb8dbda86c7498da5e9a477128518b27fe88.debug...done.

And the call stack is much better, such as:

#6  0x00000000005bde89 in tm_throw(char const*) (msg=0x140d9b0 "guile could not be found") at ./Kernel/Abstractions/basic.cpp:197

The last thing, which is somewhat irrelevant, is that in the configuration (configure.in), it is set that

CFLAGS=${CFLAGS:=""}
CXXFLAGS=${CXXFLAGS:=""}
if I modify it to CFLAGS:="-g" and CXXFLAGS:="-g", then by default the result will contain debug symbols (Debian is not concerned because dpkg-buildflags set "-g" by default). Note that "-g" is compatible with "-O3".

I suggest @Joris to include this (call stacks with function names are much more comprehensible than unknown addresses and question marks).

By the way, by rebuilding, the bug of crashing of \footnote, and crashing while searching disappear. I use the same code base as your build, because I downloaded the source code from your OpenSuse directory.

Best wishes,