Re: Release of TeXmacs 1.99.12

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Release of TeXmacs 1.99.12
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 11:11:07 +0700 (+07)

I'll not be able to add this release to Gentoo linux.

In Gentoo, guile-1.x is masked; all packages which depend on it are removed, except TeXmacs, which is masked. This means that, theoretically, any user can locally unmask guile-1.x and TeXmacs and install them (Gentoo is source-based, all packages are compiled on the user's computer). But after masking guile-1.x, an increasing number of packages started to declare that they depend on guile-2.x. This is natural. Both versions of guile cannot be installed in the system simultaneously. I kept guile-1.x and TeXmacs in my computer as long as I could, but this started to prevent normal updates of many unrelated packages. So, regretfully, I had to remove guile-1.x and TeXmacs from my computer. Now I cannot check that the new release compiles, and hence cannot commit it to Gentoo.

There will be no new releases of TeXmacs in Gentoo. They would be almost useless anyway, because only a tiny fraction of users would risk to unmask locally some masked packages.

Andrey