Re: Improving speed for "papyrus" documents?

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Improving speed for "papyrus" documents?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 23:49:49 +0100

Hi Amir,

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 07:13:44AM -0500, Amir Michail wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use TeXmacs as a note taking tool with no page breaking.
>
> Shouldn’t inserting/deleting an item/paragraph be instant in this setting
> even within a very long document?
>
> Maybe this could be done with a change in data structures?

This is right if the document has more of a tree structure.
For instance, if it is composed of twenty blocks of the form

(with color "..."
...20 pages...)

(with color "..."
...20 pages...)

(with color "..."
...20 pages...)

The point is that a very long document has a root node of very large arity
and that operations sometimes require to do a little something for all
paragraphs.
I did write some code to automatically break this behaviour, bit it turned out
to be delicate and somewhat buggy, so it has currently been turned off.

Best wishes, --Joris