Re: IPA symbols in TeXmacs

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: IPA symbols in TeXmacs
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 16:43:26 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 04:21:08PM +0100, Tirifto wrote:
> Is there a way to insert symbols from the International Phonetic
> Alphabet in a TeXmacs document? The simple ones (ʒ, ɡ, ʃ…) work very
> well; as long as the font supports them, I can just paste them over.
> However, whenever I try to include a combination of several symbols, it
> doesn’t work out:
>
> • ‘t͡s’ instead shows up as ‘t<#361>s’.
>
> • ‘u̯’ instead shows up as ‘u<#32F>’.
>
> The manual says how to insert various diacritical marks, but I haven’t
> been able to find a way to reproduce these IPA symbols in TeXmacs at
> all. Is that possible to do?

These unicode characters are tricky, because they don't display as usual
glyphs,
but do something with respect to the previous character. This is not
supported
in TeXmacs, for the moment, although it could be implemented if there
is enough demand. The fact that you see ‘t<#361>s’, ‘u<#32F>’, etc.
means that the characters are not available as individual glyphs
in the font. You may use a font like 'Andika Basic' to have
at least the glyphs. But that won't fix the spacing.

A temporary fix if you only occasionally need these symbols is
to type what you want in math-mode (using wide over, wide under) and
then remove the 'math' tag. We might make the wide over/under tags
available in text mode if needed. Of course, this is not an ideal
solution, because the correspondence with Unicode is lost.

Best wishes, --Joris