Re: Questions about formula editing (a few more)

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Questions about formula editing (a few more)
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 01:05:29 +0200

Hi Pierre-Henri,

On Sat, Jul 03, 2021 at 10:40:20PM +0200, Pierre-Henri Jondot wrote:
> > Yes, I introduced the fusing behavior after noting that a lot of users
> > tended to create meaningless empty formulas before or after other
> > formulas.
> > I agree that this is counterintuitive from a structural point of view,
> > but it avoids this very common type of error.
>
> Understood. It makes sense, although maybe could it be possible to disallow
> empty formula, that is, automatically remove every empty formula ? I don't
> see any valid reason to keep any of them...

Well, that is indeed another reasonable solution that I considered.

However, it is more difficult to implement, because empty formulas
should be removed only after you move the cursor out of them.

Moreover, it violates the "structured-editing" expectation just
as much as the fusing behavior,

Finally, you may easily end up with formulas such as
<math|a><math|+b> instead of <math|a+b>.
This is less likely with the fusing behavior.

> >> Last thing : it looks more like a (tiny) bug than a design decision :
> >> when I want to enter this kind of integral :
> >
> > Note that the integral does not show up in all email clients.
>
> Even such a small png ? Anyway the only point was that the upper bound was
> a fraction, as you probably guessed.

I could find it on the mailing list archive.

> > I don't understand. If I do "S-F5 ^ C-f" (assuming the MacOS look and
> > feel),
> > then I indeed start a fraction in the superscript. Same if I do "\ i n t
> > return ^ C-f".
>
> All this to say that to observe what I did observe, I suppose that not only
> do you need tu run TeXmacs under macos, but you need to use a french mac
> keyboard layout...

OK, I see, this indeed must be the French dead key ^ torturing us.

This is hard to implement in a better way, because Qt enters into
pre-edit mode when pressing such a key, so we simply don't receive
sensible keyboard events in this case.

Best wishes, --Joris