Re: LaTeX export produces TeX syntax $x=y$ instead of LaTeX syntax, intentional or not?

  • From: Maxime Devos <address@hidden>
  • To: Basile Audoly <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: LaTeX export produces TeX syntax $x=y$ instead of LaTeX syntax, intentional or not?
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 10:28:37 +0200

Basile Audoly schreef op do 26-05-2022 om 09:04 [+0200]:
> Hi Maxime,
> The stackexchange discussion mentions prominently that both options
> are acceptable.

According to the two answers by ‘Lover of Structure’, there are a few
advantages to \( ... \) (see ‘There is actually a very good reason to’
and ‘For the users of the package soul’, MattocxBeckman, the answer
about better error message, the answer of Mico about robustness). And
while $...$ is acceptable, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best,
maybe \(...\) is acceptable too and better?

> The arguments in favor of either one of the options are debatable.
> At the end of the day, $…$ is both perfectly fine LaTeX

There are some disagreements about which is the best (apparently some
consider \( \) to be ‘distracting’, and \(...\) takes more characters
than $...$ though that doesn't seem relevant for an export).
However, given that \(...\) is LaTeX and $...$ is raw non-LaTeX Tex,
I consider \(...\) to be the default option.

> and very common.

I fail to see what the relevancy of it being commonly used (cf.
argumentum ad populum). For what it isn't worth, \(...\) is common
too, and AFAICT the only reason \(...\) is less common than $...$ is
inertia.

Greetings,
Maxime