Re: Strange behaviour while organizing files in a recursive way

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Anderson Brasil <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Strange behaviour while organizing files in a recursive way
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 22:08:20 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for the delay of my reply.

I think that this might not be the intended behavior indeed,
but it is not completely illogical either...

What happens is that the contents of ./chapter1/chapter1.tm
is _included as is_ in the master file and then typeset.
So other include statements are then considered with respect to
the master file.

I might improve on this behavior in the way you suggest,
but it may not be worth the trouble, since various workarounds
are possible.

Obviously, you could include sections
as ./chapter1/section1.1.tm. If you also wish to be open
to chapter1.tm as a standalone file, you could create a symbolic
link from ./chapter1/chapter1 to ./chapter1

Alternatively, you may use absolute links,
but where the root directory is an environment variable that
you can easily modify when needed.

Best wishes, --Joris

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 11:49:50PM -0300, Anderson Brasil wrote:
> I've noticed a strange behaviour of texmacs. Suppose that you do have
> a master file, which I will call masterfile.tm, which will be like
> this:
>
> <include|./chapter1/chapter1.tm>
> <include|./chapter2/chapter2.tm>
>
> Suppose that the file ./chapter1/chapter1.tm is like this:
> <include|./section1.1.tm>
> <include|./section1.2.tm>
> and ./chapter1/chapter1.tm is like this:
> <include|./section1.1.tm>
> <include|./section1.2.tm>
>
> That way, when opening directly chapter1.tm (or chapter2.tm) texmacs
> will find the section1.1.tm and section1.2.tm. But when opening
> masterfile.tm, it will find chapter1.tm and chapter2.tm but not all
> subsections inside of it, because it will interpret the dot directory
> as the location of masterfile.tm, not the location of chapter1.tm (or
> chapter2.tm).
> Is it an intended behaviour or a bug? To dispose files of different
> chapters in different directories feels like a natural way of
> organizing the files of a document, but it doesn't work.
> PS: I don't want to use absolute paths, I want to be able to simply
> copy the whole structure of files at once and see it working no matter
> the directory in which I copied it into.
>
> Thanks in advance and apologizes for this cold murder of the English
> Language,
>
> Anderson Brasil

  • Re: Strange behaviour while organizing files in a recursive way, TeXmacs, 11/06/2022