Re: ArXiv hiring to rationalize their TeX pipeline

  • From: Massimiliano Gubinelli <address@hidden>
  • To: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: ArXiv hiring to rationalize their TeX pipeline
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 10:59:40 +0100

The problem is not the PDF, one can already submit PDFs to arXiv, the problem is about allowing us to deposit also source files, so that they do not get lost. I do not think we can convince arXiv to support TeXmacs as a build system, but already a rationalization of the TeX format allowed is very good news. I think something we can lobby for is a document format for technical papers which then can be targeted by editors and easily converted in other formats (LaTeX, TeXmacs, PDF,  HTML, ….) Still, this would be a complex task, so for the moment a minimal subset of LaTeX could be ideal. If arXiv decide to support a particular package as “blessed & long term support” then people could be nudged to follow. In a similar way that journals require a format, then arXiv could also require their own format.

Max