Re: Modifications record

  • From: Maxime Devos <address@hidden>
  • To: Richard gomez <address@hidden>, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Modifications record
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 00:24:02 +0200

Op 06-07-2023 om 12:59 schreef Richard gomez:
(version française ci-après)

Hello,

I have finished writing a book using TeXmacs, and I would like to keep a record of the modified settings throughout the process to address my publisher's requests (most of these modifications were aimed at reducing the size of the document due to budget constraints).

Is it possible to edit the list of modified settings? I would like to have a record of all these changes for future reference.

I have made an effort to document some of them in a file, but unfortunately, I haven't noted down everything (it's not easy to be both engaged in the action and describe it in real-time).

I'm not at all a TeXmacs expert, but I don't think TeXmacs has a list of modified settings to edit in the first place. Instead, a TeXmacs document appears to contain a list of differences with the default -- you can edit it, but that means changing the current settings, not recording what has changed since the previous version.

However, you can find this list of changes to the default, which might be sufficient for your purposes.

If you open a TeXmacs file as plain text (in some notepad-like application), you'll at the end see something like:

<\initial>
<\collection>
<associate|page-medium|paper>
<associate|save-aux|false>
</collection>
</initial>

I haven't ever modified sizes, so I don't know for sure where the settings for paper size, margins, font size etc. appears, but I would guess it appears in the <\initial>...</initial> somewhere. Or maybe it is in the front of the file instead, near the
<TeXmacs|2.1>...<style|...>.

Maybe there's a graphical interface for this as well, but I have never searched for it. (I neither have use for the hypothetical graphical interface nor this plain text interface.)

Combine this with a version control system (even something basic like keeping separate file old.tm and new.tm will do), then you can compare the <\initial>...</initial> of the two files to figure out what has changed.

Best regards,
Maxime Devos.