Re: Entering Latex Commands

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Entering Latex Commands
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:43:26 +0100

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 09:45, you wrote:
> I now have the latest Texmacs and its looking very good indeed. Well done.
> A silly question. How do I enter latex commands. A simple example is,
> \title{} - I know this can be done via article. I have looked at the help
> section, but I do not understand it! Sorry.

I'm not sure I understand what is your problem, but I'll try to be helpful
anyway.

First you must know that TeXmacs is NOT a front-end for LaTeX, and that it
does not really understand LaTeX commands.

In the case of \title, it is actually a *function* defined with
<assign|title|<func|name|<assign|thetitle|<value|name>>>>
in the article stylesheet.

When you type "\title[enter]", it will actually apply the <title> function
with no parameter. To enter parameters in a function application you need to
press the [tab] key.

Eg: \title[tab]My title[return]

However, if you use the graphical interface to create the <title> command, it
will be created with the caret in the first parameter.

Now, most LaTeX commands use *macros* (dynamic WYSIWYG components) and not
functions, so they behave much more intuitively (eg. center). <title>,

Actually, it would make sense to redefine the maketitle function to use, by
default, a macro and not a function in the LaTeX way.

Hope this helps.