Is Texmacs supposed to be emacs compatible?

  • From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Is Texmacs supposed to be emacs compatible?
  • Date: 16 Mar 2002 09:08:05 -0500

I've just installed Texmacs and I'm a little confused about what it can
do. When I saw it mentioned on the web I got the impression that Texmacs
was supposed to be a WYSIWYG Emacs but that doesn't seem to be the case.
It certainly does the WYSIWYG part of it, in fact it's the first editor
that I've see on Linux that does a decent job of font rendering. However
it doesn't seem to be Emacs. Almost none of the emacs keyboard commands
seem to be there and those few that are don't operate the way Emacs
does. For example you can't split a buffer (Ctrl X 2 doesn't work),
opening a file (Ctrl X F) doesn't work the way Xemacs does (Xemacs does
path completion and displays the file list in a buffer window, Texmacs
just sits there waiting for you to type in the name). You can't page
down with Ctrl v. Esc X replace isn't there. I can go on and on.

So is Texmacs based on emacs or not? Is it the intention of the
developers to make it emacs compatible or is Texmacs just it's own
thing?

I was dearly hoping for a version of Emacs that could do word
processing. All of the open source word processing projects are
producing forth rate Word clones. At there current stage of development
none are usable. For example Abiword can't seem to render a font to save
it's life. Even if projects like Abiword and Star Office succeed you
won't have anything better than Word so you might as well continue to
use the real thing and run Word on Win4Lin. On the other hand an Emacs
that could handle word processing task would be orders of magnitude
better than Word and it would also be something that truly belongs in
the *Nix world.