Re: Features (request)?

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Features (request)?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:33:01 +0100

On Friday 29 March 2002 20:25, Nirmal Govind wrote:
> I have a few qns/suggestions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to select text with the keyboard rather than with the
> mouse.. like, say pressing the Shift key and moving the cursor?

See online help, keyboard file:

\key{ctrl-$x$} Control key based shorthands are used for commands,
which are compatible with the corresponding commands in Emacs, like
\key{ctrl-y} for pasting text.

Means that ctrl-space work the expected way.

\key{ctrl-home} manually set start of the selection.
\key{ctrl-end} manually set end of the selection.

> 2. Is there a way to move the cursor one word backward/forward?

No. Logical motion commands are indeed desirable.

See http://alqua.com/tmresources/headers%20and%20footers

> 4. In the menu, can the current setting be indicated with a bullet so that
> when a selection is made there will be a bullet next to it?

That is indeed a desirable feature that should be put on the wishlist, but...

While that feature is not a problem for document-wide or application wide
switches, I will not be used soon for local editing features. Indeed, local
editing features (like font setting commands) just *add* an environment in
the document tree. As such they are all *structural actions*.

In conventional word processors, those editing features only *switch* a bit
describing the property on the selected range. So the "checked menu" style is
perfectly appropriate. However, in TeXmacs, it may improperly clue the user
that the application works the usual way.

In the longer term, when more complex structured editing commands are
available, as well a different look-and-feel profiles, heuristics may be
added to emulate the traditional word processor behaviour. In that case, it
will make sense to use checked option for local editing commands.

Well, when creating the wishlist item, please do not forget to put in that
little explanation, since that type of question is likely to come in often.
--

-- David --

  • Features (request)?, Nirmal Govind, 03/29/2002
    • Re: Features (request)?, David Allouche, 03/30/2002