create tables from external data

  • From: Nicolas Girard <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: create tables from external data
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:16:56 +0200

Hi all, I'm new to this mailing-list.

A few years ago, i hacked latex so that i was able to create tables by
looking for data in flat files, which was *very* convenient. I don't
remember the exact details, but the idea was to call a perl script which
read each line of the flat file, such as

a ; b ; c ; d

and printed out to the standard output

a & b & c & d \\

i.e. what a row looks like in LaTeX.

Now I'd like to achieve the similar result with TeXmacs. That is, to
call within a macro an external script which prints, in the appropriate
conditions:

<row|<\cell>a</cell><\cell>b</cell><\cell>c</cell><\cell>d</cell>>\

Is there a way to interact with a program or a shell script like this ?
Sessions are a way of interacting which is well documented, but this is
not the same kind of interaction i need here.

I considered using the following operators:
- hybrid
- specific
- action

but they aren't documented so i don't know neither if they are suited,
nor how i could include them in a macro. Or maybe this is not directly
possible due to security reasons, but indirectly as an extension,
which seems to be far from obvious... Anyway this kind of interaction
would be of the highest interest for many other uses, such as
collaborative documents

Could you show me a starting point ?

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas

  • create tables from external data, Nicolas Girard, 07/31/2002