Re: GNU Octave interface

  • From: michael graffam <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: GNU Octave interface
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:34:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> This is the first, very preliminary octave
> interface.
> The attached file contains a patch against
> octave-2.1.36.

Cool. It'll take me awhile to play with it, because
DLing the octave sources is non-trivial for me, but
I will get to it.

> No LaTeX generation yet.

I have included a tarball of my work on an Octave
interface, including the m-files I wrote to generate
LaTeX and Scheme expressions for TeXmacs output.

Also, from my work so far it certainly seems that
Scheme is rendered inside TeXmacs faster than LaTeX.

So, I prefer to use Scheme where possible -- but if
LaTeX offers a simpler solution than Scheme for
certain
formatting options we shouldn't hesitate to use it, of
course.

> More problems: octave wants
> to use info for help,
> and this is impossible, so, don't use help from
> TeXmacs. Also, octave
> uses less for very long output; this should be
> somehow disabled.

I don't understand why you are seeing these
difficulties, really -- Octave doesn't fork less
for me when run over a pipe. Also, while help does
have problems, they don't seem to be related to
forking info -- rather TeXmacs gets flooded as
Octave dumps far too much help text.

I'll apply the patch and see what I find.

You should play with octave via PS1/PS2 coding to
compare the behavior.