Re: Derivatives in math mode

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Derivatives in math mode
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:37:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Forringer, Ted wrote:
> I am sure this must be a very simple question, but I can't figure it out
> to my liking. I am using texmacs version 1.0.0.17 on a Mandrake Linux
> box.
>
> I would like to make a simple derivative in math mode dy/dx. In the
> text books that I am familiar with all of the symbols are in italics,
> but in texmacs when I put two letters next to each other I get
> non-italics. I have tried d<tab>y, and that gives me an italics y but a
> non-italics d. I also try d<tab><tab>y and that gives me a nice partial
> derivative, but that is still not what I need. Finally d*t gives both
> in italics, but there is a space between them that does not seem
> appropriate.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for such a simple question.

(see also mailing list archives)

You may type "d space y" for "d applied to y". In fact, you rather
*should* type "d tab tab space y". Indeed, the upright "d" stands for
the differentiation operator. This is good practice, since it helps
the reader (and automatized readers) to distinguish between the letter
"d" and the differentiation operator. In a similar vein, you may try
"e tab tab", "i tab tab" and "p tab tab".