spell checking

  • From: "Juan Pablo Romero" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: spell checking
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:02:54 +0000

Hi

I've tracked down the problem with the spanish dictionary.

It turned out the file "espa~nol.hash" in /usr/lib/ispell wasn't a "hash" file but a "dict" file, so ispell wouldn't work with it. I had to manually create the file (with buildhash). The dictionary itself I got it from mandrake 8.2 (9.1 doesn't contains a spanish dictionary for ispell).

Also in file "edit_spell.cc", line 83 I found these lines:

if (exists ("/usr/lib/ispell/" * dict * ".hash") ||
exists ("/usr/lib/aspell/" * dict) ||
exists ("/usr/lib/aspell/" * dict * ".multi")

but in no other place I could find a reference to aspell. Does texmacs support aspell? I'm interested because I've heard aspell is better than ispell.

Now, actually running the spell checker in my document (finally!) left me with some questions. First I noticed that if select "i:insert" to insert a new word, texmacs (or perhaps ispell) doesn't modifies your personall dictionary unless the spell checking process has finished. That means if you have "inserted" several words but interrupt the process those words get lost. Also, words containing the character "ü" (like "ambigüedad") aren't saved.

Another thing I've noticed is that you can't type an accented words when substituting some word (e.g dead_acute). Personally I've modified my keyboard layout with xkeboard so I can type characters like á, é, ... directly (it works great with some motif based programs like mathematica), but I guess this is a bug.

Regards

Juan Pablo

MSN. Más Útil Cada Día http://www.msn.es/intmap/

  • spell checking, Juan Pablo Romero, 05/29/2003