Newbie questions

  • From: Giovanni Biczó <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Newbie questions
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:12:27 +0200

Hi all,
I downloaded TeXmacs and it seems to be a great app!
However, being a newbe, I have some stupid questions.

1.: in terms of typesetting, is TeXmacs "comparable" to TeX/LaTeX? How does it
typeset the text, does it use the same algorithms?
a) does it take somehow care of kerning pairs (eg. VA)?

2.: I don't find solution to type an "em dash" or "en dash". What to do in
order to type them? Same is the case with hyphens and minus signs.

3.: I have some type1 fonts installed for TeX and LaTeX. How can I make them
available for TeXmacs?

4.: Some of the mentioned t1 fonts use adobe standard enc, except for two
(four) glyphs: "ohungarumlaut", "uhungarumlaut" and their caps. Now TeX
creates these glyphs when it (tex) encounters '\H o', by putting
"hungarumlaut" on the top of 'o' ('u'). But in this case this approach does
not work, because the size and shape of the O and U do not allow to use the
bare "hungarumlaut". In addition to that, the font itself contains the
ready-made glyphs I need, but at the positions of other characters (in TeX
terms, at the position of the '\^ o', '\^ u' characters).
So the question is:
How to create a keyboard(?) layout or some kind of encoding vector or
whatever, to be able to use these chars? (And maybe the problem is not that
"simple": what happens to the hyphenation after I changed the encoding?)

Thanks in advance
Giovanni

  • Newbie questions, Giovanni Biczó, 06/26/2003