Re: copy and paste Maxima plot

  • From: michael graffam <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: copy and paste Maxima plot
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 14:25:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
wrote:
> It would be cool if an experienced maxima user could
> provide
> a hack to make this more automatic. For instance:
> provide a mode
> to not open the second window, but directly generate
> a postscript
> graphics and send it to TeXmacs (the communication
> protocol
> supports postscript graphics).

Well, I did this for the Octave interface. I'm not as
familiar with Maxima, but I'll look into it. If
someone else toys with this, PLEASE email me and let
me know.. there are some issues with CAS/TeXmacs
interaction that ought to be standardized.

For instance, sure generating plots into TeXmacs is
nice -- but sometimes having them go to external
windows is preferrable -- at least until
axis/labels/colors/etc have been tailored to the
user's
liking.

This sort of thing should be standardized and the
CAS interfaces should do what they can to conform to
it. Rather than memorizing different obscure ways of
setting Maxima/Octave/Yacas/whatever features a simple
GUI should be provided that controls all the
conformant CAS's.

This can be done in Scheme. Simply set environment
variables, and code the CAS interfaces to check those
variables.