Re: [TeXmacs] Addtional remark: Fontconfig (was: Type 3 fonts)

  • From: Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Addtional remark: Fontconfig (was: Type 3 fonts)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:29:22 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2003 11:15 schrieb Martin Costabel:
> On mercredi, oct 22, 2003, at 17:09 Europe/Paris, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > just found out about http://fontconfig.org - the portable solution for
> > Linux
> > systems. Of course - like any real solution - quite complex...
>
> I must have overlooked something in this discussion, but I didn' see
> anyone mentioning that both freetype2 and fontconfig come with xfree86.
> I don't know what the linux distributions do about this, but at least
> freetype2 has been part of the xfree86 sources for at least a year
> since 4.2.0, and fontconfig comes with xfree86-4.3.0 (and on MacOSX
> with Apple's latest X11 which is xfree86-4.3.0).

True, but the whole point of the original question was portability. Freetype2
itself is independent from X11, so the original version should be used for
TeXmacs. I don't really know whether the version in xfree86 is identical to
the independent version? I could not really make out, whether the xfree86
sources contain a copy of freetype2? Or do you have to have the original
installed to compile?

In any case: It is nice to know that xfree86 uses freetype and fontconfig,
but
the independent libraries should be used for TeXmacs.

fontconfig of course cannot be as portable as freetype, but it should cover
any system running X11, so we only have to worry about Windows and MacOS X.
That would make three different font configuration backends which should be
manageable.

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
______________________Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>

Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
Institut für Theoretische Physik III
Staudtstr. 7 ... D-91058 Erlangen ... Room No. U1.526
Tel: +49 9131 / 85-28816 ... Mobile: +49 179 / 7475199