plug-in driven modifications [was [TeXmacs] Handling Postscript output into TeXmacs]

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Ero Carrera <address@hidden>
  • Cc: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: plug-in driven modifications [was [TeXmacs] Handling Postscript output into TeXmacs]
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:45:36 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Ero Carrera wrote:
> I was wondering whether it is possible to name a given Postscript output to
> TeXmacs, in such a way that it's possible to have a named buffer and modify
> it
> accordingly to commands in an interactive session.
>
> The objective is to have a canvas which can be interactively manipulated. If
> such feature would exist, I would be glad to implement it on tmPython. As of
> now, drawing the output has to be requested explicitly, and appears after
> each
> such commands.

In priciple yes: you may use the low level Scheme routines tm-assign, etc.
and higher level routines insert-tree, etc. to modify buffers.
These commands may be issued by the Python plug-in using the command format.

It must be said though that the low-level interface is bound to
modifications later this year. I also plan implement to "watches",
which should be a higher-level mechanism for achieving what you want.
The idea is that a watch in a document watches the outside world every
millisecond or so, and that if an interesting change occurred,
then the content of the watch is automatically updated.
Of course, all this will take some time.

Another extension which might be interesting for the Python plug-in
(as well as for the lisp plug-ins) is to be able to use the TeXmacs
primitives from within the plug-in and vice versa. If you are interested
to help us developing a protocol for this, then let us discuss this issue
in more detail on the developers mailing list address@hidden.

Best wishes, Joris